Pet Supplies Plus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White cotton looking fuzz on clownfish

cm6755 Guest

Question White cotton looking fuzz on clownfish

I am in the process of doing my own research on this matter but I figured I would post a thread first so I can get this issue resolved asap.

I recently purchased two tomato clownfish (from John Auberry) and they have been doing wonderfully...until the other day I noticed that the 'female' (larger one) has what looks to be a fuzzy white growth on her 'chin' right underneath her lower lip (kinda like a goatee...lol). The clownfish are from Steve a long time ago so they are aquacultured. I will get a pic as soon as I can...don't hold your breath though, I am terrible at taking pictures of the tank!

Alright, I am off to research---thanks for taking the time to look!

Ed Guest

I think your tank is allergic to clowns...
    Every time you put one in, the tank rejects it.
    Sorry for your bad luck. Could just be lympho, which with a good diet and a stress free environment should go away on its own.
    Of course, there's the chance it's Brooklynella as well.
    Has it spread or gotten any bigger?

cm6755 Guest

I think my tank is allergic to them also...what a shame, we love them (to death sometimes) so much! I just read as much as I could on WWM regarding brooklynella and I think it might be that although Steve told me that only wild caught could contract brooklynella; I am off to get some formailn and do some dips...it's not on the other fish or the other clown... and her appetite dwindled after I got them but it came right back in a few weeks. Going to start garlic just because I always have a gigantic jar of it in the fridge!!! Mmmmmmmmmm garlic!

Ed, what is lympho?

Ed Guest

Lymphocystis- IME, is usually found on the fins and the body, although I have seen cases where treatment (antibiotics) for lympho removed infected areas on the body as well. Could have been just the type of medication used as well. Also, since there isn't a cure for lympho, I'm not sure if the two weeks in qt or the medication itself was the reason for it's disappearance.
    If you have a qt, might as well use it...
    I agree with Steve's statement about Brooklynella regarding wild caught specimens.
    Garlic will help the immune system, which will help fight off any secondary infections.
    Lympho usually isn't fatal, but there is no "cure" for it either.

cm6755 Guest

Just called NemoFish (they're the closest besides you Ed) and the man I spoke with said it sounded like cottonmouth, a fungal infection that can be treated with a 10 second methelyene blue dip. I am going to try this dip because I am more worried about stressing her out by putting her in a hospital tank. I also wonder about if it could be an abrasion from the frogspawn she has decided is going to host her. She darts in there pretty fast and deep. Oh what to do.....dip, qt and stress or observe for a few days and see....now I am the one who is stressed!!!

Christie, I have to believe that it is something similar to what others have stated. Since we spoke earlier, I have had a chance to process things and I am convinced that it has to be the result of an abrasion or other injury. Unless there is a new source for some parasite or disease, which you stated there is not, I can't imagine what else it could be.

The dip sounds like a good course of action. Keep us posted!
    Confucius Say: "best way to save face, is to keep lower part of face shut".

cm6755 Guest

Alright, I have determinded that it is either Cottonmouth or Brooklynella (sp?). I am leaning more towards Brooklynella as I have noticed VERY tiny patches near dorsal fin. I went to Nemofish and p/u Metheylene Blue to treat since it will take care of both diseases........Here is the issue........I can't catch the f'er!!! First I used different sized nets...after talking with a member went out and purchased a specimine container so she couldn't see it as well. NO DICE!!! I do not think she is going to make it, and I am really upset with this...my tank is a clownfish killer! I have noticed considerable weight loss with the female (male shows no signs of illness, although I am going to dip him too WHEN I catch them!!!). I know this next statement will make all of you cringe, but is there anything I can treat the entire tank with? I really don't care if it changes the color of the water or causes the tank to be less asthetically appealing...just so it doesn't harm the good guys and it kills the bad guys!!! On the other hand, if someone is willing to come over and catch them I will make it up to you. THanks for all of the help!

PM me if you want me to come over and catch them. If I can catch my allens damselfish I can catch anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorstin
    PM me if you want me to come over and catch them. If I can catch my allens damselfish I can catch anything.
    ^^ Jorstin the fish catching guru! Clowns are part of the damsel family but they a NOT CLOSE in speed and elusiveness. If he can catch those little SOB's, he should be able to snag your clown.

Have you tried feeding the tank and slipping the net/container in when the clown is distracted by food?
    Confucius Say: "best way to save face, is to keep lower part of face shut".

cm6755 Guest

Jorstin, thanks for the offer but I FINALLY caught them BOTH!!! I figured that if one had a clownfish disease the other was right behind with symptoms...so after snorkeling in my 92 (and almost trashing the tank) Tony actually caught them with a NET!!! We had originally decided against a 'hospital' tank so we wouldn't stress them out more than we needed to...well, after a week of bathing in saltwater trying to catch them I decided that when we did they were going into a bare ten gallon...not going through that again! Suprisingly, they do not seem stressed, well too badly at least. I did however put a fist sized piece of LR in there so they could hide. I have been dipping them in Metheylene Blue everyday for a week now and it's getting better. Boy, they don't like that blue dip, kamakazi's in the container!!! Does anyone know how long this usually takes? I figured I would dip them until I didn't see the cottony patches anymore and then dip for a few more days or more. Only thing that bothers me is that they are not eating, it's only been a week though...they usually get fed every two weeks (I am sure they get some of the food from spot feeding corals and anemones though). Thanks for the input in advance!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast